Wellness and Internal Medicine
- Complete physical exam and oral exam
- Vaccines tailored to your pet’s lifestyle and environmental risks
- Complete care for puppies and kittens to set them up for a healthy lifestyle
- Senior pets present us with a new set of challenges that we can often diagnose and treat early with good preventative medicine and supplements
- Dental care, parasite prevention, exercise needs, training & behavior recommendations, diet,
- Dental care is vital to the overall health of our dogs and cats.
- Periodontal disease often results in a systemic bacterial infection that affects the heart, liver, and kidneys.
- Oral health procedures consist of a thorough exam while your pet is under anesthesia.
- We chart missing teeth, diseased teeth, growths and tumors, and any other abnormalities.
- We then proceed with an ultrasonic scaling to remove all tartar, a good polishing to clean every tooth, and then extractions if needed.
- A fluoride treatment is applied at the end of the procedure.
- These patients are being closely monitored under anesthesia, just as any other surgical procedure. Our before and after dental pictures are appreciated by all!
- Digital x-rays provide us with a high-quality image allows us to take x-rays quickly, providing immediate images.
- This is all favorable for your pet and often prevents us from having to sedate or restrain your pet for an extended time to get the proper image.
- Onsite and outside lab testing available.
- We offer onsite laboratory services for blood, urine, and stool analysis.
- We work jointly with outside reference labs which enables us to run over 150 different tests on our patients.
- Results can often be given within 24 hours depending on the test.
- Occasionally we will provide overnight or weekend care.
- Patients are determined eligible for medical boarding by the doctor and the client on an individual basis.
- One of every three pets will get lost in their lifetime!
- A microchip is
the solutionfor a pet that is lost, or for a pet that is displaced due to a natural disaster such as a hurricane or tornado.
- The chip has served as the critical link between a pet and their owner!
- This is a one time purchase that lasts the life of your pet.
- Modern facility with state-of-the-art anesthesia monitoring equipment.
- A certified veterinary technician monitors closely and continuously during surgery.
- Our equipment monitors heart rate and rhythm, oxygen saturation of the blood, and breathing patterns.
- All patients are given pain medication in the hospital and to take home. Research shows pets heal faster if they’re comfortable and stress-free after surgery.
- We refer complicated surgical cases to the University of Wisconsin in Madison, as well as private referral practices in the Chicago area.
- If we cannot provide the service, we will work with you to determine the best facility for your pet’s care and ensure all the proper medical information is sent with you.
- Ultrasound is a wonderful, non-invasive technology that can be very helpful in diagnosing various medical conditions.
- When used in conjunction with our digital x-rays, we are able to make certain diagnoses that, in the past, required surgical intervention.
- It also allows us to biopsy certain organs or masses without invasive surgery.
- Ultrasound is performed by appointment only.
- We also offer referral to a specialist for ultrasounds if we find that is the best option for your pet.
Therapeutic Class IV Laser
- Therapeutic Laser is a completely non-invasive, pain-free treatment for your pet. (It is currently used in human medicine, especially among athletes).
- We have helped many of our senior patients with arthritis to have a better quality of life through improved mobilization.
- Soft tissue injuries to muscle or tendons have also been successfully treated with the laser.
- It has also proven very effective to aid in the healing process of various skin wounds, abrasions, “hot spots” and inflammatory conditions.
- We also use this on incisions after a surgical procedure to assist the healing tissue.
Complete Onsite Pharmacy
- We are able to immediately dispense most medications that we prescribe for your pet’s condition.
- Due to the various sizes in pets and dosages of medications, we work with an outside compounding pharmacy to special order some medications on an as-needed basis.
- We carry a full line of both the Hill’s and the Royal Canin Prescription Diets for our patients.
- The formulation of these diets has hugely facilitated the control of many common diseases in animals such as kidney and liver problems, pancreatitis, bladder stones, diabetes, thyroid disease in cats, arthritis, and many more.
Grooming and Daycare
- Canine and Abel Pet Grooming and Doggie Day Care Center is located behind our hospital.
- It is an extension of our building, but independently owned and operated by Cindy Abel.
We promise to treat your pets as if they’re our own!