Pet Loss Support
At Perryville Pet Hospital, we know that losing a pet is always hard. We want you to know that you are not alone.
You are not alone.
The human-animal bond is unmeasurable. Losing a pet can be devastating to an individual or family. The anticipation of pet loss can also cause much heartache. There are many resources for individuals and families that experience heartbreak from the loss of a beloved pet.
Fortunately, there are several resources that are ready to listen to your story and help guide you through the feelings you have about this experience.
Please click on a title below to view their website.
Books for Adults & Children
Books About Pet Loss
- Coping with sorrow on the loss of your pet (3rd ed.) – Anderson, M.
- Goodbye friend: Healing wisdom for anyone who has ever lost a pet – Kowalski, G.
- Good-bye my friend: Tributes, poems, prose, and other ways to remember your pet – Lanci-Altomare, M.
- Coping with the loss of a pet – Lemieux, C.
- Goodbye, my friend: Grieving the loss of a pet – Montgomery, M. and Montgomery, H.
- A final act of caring: Ending the life of an animal friend – Montgomery, M. and Montgomery, H.
- Healing Pet Loss – 10 tips for coping with the loss of a pet – Soucy, M.
- When your pet dies: A guide to mourning, remembering, and healing – Wolfelt, A.
Books For Children and Parents
- Talking about death: A dialogue between parent and child – Grollman, E.
- When children grieve: For adults to help children deal with death, divorce, pet loss, moving, and other losses – James, J, Friedman, R, and Matthews, L.
- Pet loss and children: Establishing a healthy foundation – Ross, C.B.
Books For Children
- When dinosaurs die: A guide to understanding death – Brown, L.K., and Brown, M.
- Why did you die: Activities to help children cope with grief and loss -Leeuwenburgh, E. and Goldring, E.
- Lifetimes: A beautiful way to explain death to children Mellonie, B. and Ingpen, R.
- Dog Heaven – Rylant, C.
- Cat Heaven -Rylant, C.
- I miss you: A first look at death – Thomas, P.
Pet Loss Support Groups & Helplines
- U of Illinois – CARE Pet Loss Support: 877-394-2273
- Tufts University Pet Loss Support: 508-839-7966 https://vet.tufts.edu/petloss/
- Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine: 607-218-7457 https://www.vet.cornell.edu/impact/community-impact/pet-loss-support-hotline#:~:text=607%2D218%2D7457
- Chicago Veterinary Medical Association: 630-325-1600
- Veterinary Specialty Center- Buffalo Grove, Illinois: 847-459-7535
- National Suicide Prevention Life Line: 800-273-8255