It’s obvious to most people that pets should be kept away from trash cans in your home. However, we want to stress the importance of this and explain why it’s vital that you keep your pet out of the trash in your home or other places they visit often. If they do find their way into the trash an ingest something they should not have, you can find emergency resources on our website by clicking here. If this is during our regular business hours, please contact us immediately at 815-229-1234.

1. Spoiled food poses serious health threats to your pet. Spoiled foods have a greater chance to cause sickness from Salmonella or Campylobacter bacteria found on spoiled food. If your pet is infected with salmonella, they could experience fever, shock, vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, and dehydration. This can also be transmitted from animals to humans, so it’s extra important to protect your pet’s from this nasty bacteria.

2. Pets should never ingest paper products like paper towels, napkins, or plates. Your pet does not have a desire for these items and would not regularly eat them, but these items can be left in the trash and be covered with food. If an excessive amount is consumed, it could lead to gastrointestinal issues for your pet. Some of these products could have spoiled food, cleaning products, or some other chemical items on them, which could lead to severe poisoning for your pet.

3. There is more than paper to consume in the trash. Items like styrofoam and plastic hold the same issues as paper products in your trash can. These products are used to contain items that may be desired by your pet, and consumption can lead to blockages, poisoning, and other health-related issues.

Getting a trash can with a strong lid, that is elevated, or even in a closet or cabinet is your best bet when pets are roaming around your home. If you do fear the worst, please give us a call immediately to discuss the next steps.